Having nail fungus may be painful and costly at the same time most especially if not treated immediately. There are several ways of treating nail fungus and some of them are as follows:
- Putting Vicks VapoRub on the infected nails is known to be effective in treating onychomycosis
- The tea tree oil found in Australia is also known as one of the agents that treats nail fungus
- The leaf extract known to be present in Snakeroot is also known to have the ability to treat the first signs of onychomycosis
- There is a known active substance found in thyme oil, the Thymol, is said to be capable of fighting nail fungus
- There are also ointments and creams that are known to help in the treatment of nail fungus. This however, is not as effective as the oral medicines and might be more costly as the treatment normally takes longer. There are also several types of nail fungus that cannot be cured by this.
- Taking medicines orally like itraconazole, fluconazole griseofulvin and terbinafine is also another alternative used to treat nail fungus. The help that it gives is by replacing the infected nails with the new ones. It is said that this type of treatment is more cost-efficient as it will not take as much time as it does when you treat a nail fungus with ointments or creams. One thing that doctors make sure before giving this type of prescription is the health of their patients. They often times need to conduct a couple of tests to check if the patient’s liver is functioning properly as this kind of medicine is something that is not permitted to be taken by patients with liver disease. Checking for the patient’s heart condition is also something that the doctor needs to take into consideration.
- In some cases, surgery might be taken into consideration as a form of treatment as well. There are 2 types of removing the infected nails when there’s a need for one, one of them is by removing it using a chemical known as urea compound. The other is by removing the nails by surgery. However, there is still a need for therapy when you undergo this type of treatment.
- Combination of all three different known types of treatments: ointments or creams, surgery and taking medications orally are the most cost and time-efficient type of treatment.
- Listerine, beer soaks and peroxide is also known as agents that help in treating nail fungus.
- One of the newest yet most expensive treatment known as of the moment is by undergoing laser therapy. Depending on the severity of the condition though, it may require a couple of sessions before the nail fungus will be totally eliminated.
- There is a certain brand in the market known as ZetaClear which is a kind of solution which attacks the source of nail fungus effectively and in a speedy manner.
The above-mentioned treatments and the time-frame of their effects depend on the person and the severity of the ailment. It will be very helpful if the patient will also have a healthy life style so that the process of healing will be more rapid.