Nail fungus or toenail fungus, onychomycosis, is a very stubborn condition and many people suffer from it. A lot of over-the-counter and prescription drugs are said to treat this condition but some of them have been found to have side effects and are not recommended to people with liver and heart problem. With this, people with this condition searched out alternative remedies to cure their nail fungus. A lot of suggested home remedies have been suggested other than the usual topical or oral treatments and are said to be effective and less expensive. Some of them are not recommended by doctors, but because there are anecdotal pieces of evidence that proves that there have been improvements in patients who use these home remedies, people are still applying them.
Some of the suggested home remedies for nail fungus are:
- Vicks VapoRub. This is a petroleum jelly based mixture, infused with oils, such as menthol. The most common method of cure is to apply the substance to the affected nails after drying. Wear a 100% cotton sock, glove or bandage over the treatment. Leave it and make sure that the gel absorbed into the nail. Repeat this daily. It may take 10 days to six weeks for you to notice an improvement.
- Vinegar. This is the most common treatment for toenail fungus at home because it is the cheapest. With vinegar’s acidic properties, it helps to destroy the cause of nail fungus. It also relieves the itching. By mixing a one part vinegar and two parts water, one prepares a mixture to soak the toenails for 20 minutes to prevent the infection from spreading. After its application, feet must be allowed to dry up. There are several types of vinegar and one can apply whatever kind of vinegar is available.
- Listerine. It is a popular brand of mouthwash and advertises as an effective agent which acts as a strong antiseptic and can cause the destruction of bacteria. Listerine has shown to be effective against Candida, one of the main factors which causes nail fungus. Soak the toes in Listerine mouthwash with equal amount of vinegar for 20 minutes or so and do this once a day.
- Green Tea Extract. It is a herbal remedy that has anti fungal properties which can kill Candida, one of the cause of fungus.
- Tea Trea Oil. This is known as an effective natural anti-fungal and found to discourage fungus growth in almost all of the common causes of nail fungus. Put a small amount of tea tree oil on a cotton ball and dab it under the top edge of the toe nail and surrounding area 3 times a day.
- Oregano and Olive Oil. Mixture of 2 drops of Oregano essential oil with 1 tsp of olive oil should be applied to the affected area daily for not more than three weeks.
- Extracts from seeds of Grapefruit. It is said to cure toenail fungus because of its antimicrobial properties.
It is usually inexpensive to try these home remedies to treat toenail fungus. However, since this is not generally recommended by doctors, it is still important to apply them with caution.