As the old adage says, prevention is better than cure. When it comes to having nail fungus this is very much applicable as with this kind of ailment, the treatment becomes more costly and stressful as the condition worsens.
Below are some tips for us to prevent having nail fungus:
- Keeping our nails short helps in prevention of the fungus from entering our nails, it is also advisable to use a nail file once we notice that our nails have started to thicken
- Keeping our feet dry as much as possible
- Wearing shoes that allows air passage also helps. Avoiding wearing of shoes that are too tight is also a helpful tip.
- Avoiding things that might injure or irritate our nails. When we are working for example in our garden, wear protective gloves and working boots to help protect our fingernails and toenails.
- Avoid sharing instruments that we are using to clean our nails, examples of these are nail cutters, nippers, nail file, nail scissors. Making sure that we clean and sanitize them after use also helps. Sharing the cleaning instruments mentioned increases the risk of spreading nail fungus.
- Avoiding sharing of towels will also be helpful to stop the spreading of ailments like skin diseases and nail fungus.
- Footwear should be replaced every now and then as this sometimes become home to some types of fungi.
- Make sure not to walk without any protection in damp places like public swimming pools, spa, locker rooms and public bathrooms, always remember that the type of microorganism that cause nail fungus strives in wet places.
- Using of powders and sprays that are anti-fungal helps in eliminating fungus that might be living in our shoes.
- Avoid using nail polish most especially if you already have nail fungus since it won’t let moisture pass through and might just worsen the condition of your nails.
- In case that you are going to a salon, make sure that they are sterilizing the instruments that they are using after each use, it will be much better though if you will bring your own for health and hygienic purposes.
- Keeping your immune system healthy by eating a balanced diet may help you fight germs, viruses and bacteria that are major causes of having nail fungus.
- If you are suffering from nail fungus and you treated your infected nails, make sure to wash your hands after as it may affect the other nails that you have and the ailment may spread.
- Washing of your feet regularly and making sure to dry them after will also help in eliminating nail fungus.
- Seeing a doctor even at the first signs of having nail fungus is very important, this will prevent the ailment from spreading and getting worse.
- Making sure that the insides of your shoes is dry and changing socks often may also help in the prevention of having nail fungus.
- Wearing or using socks that are made from 100% cotton is also helpful.
- Based on medical studies, smoking also increases the risk of getting nail fungus.
There are several ways of curing nail fungus; however, why would we even think of curing it when there are several ways to prevent them in the first place?