This is often times one of the questions that you will hear from someone who has a nail fungus. This could be out of frustration most especially if they have this kind of ailment for a very long time now which is often the case when it comes to having nail fungus as this is one of the most common things that every patient has been complaining about, the length of time that they need to undergo treatment.
Nail fungus may actually sound as if it’s just a simple type of ailment, what people don’t know is that even though this is common, this is also one of the most costly and time-consuming type since depending on how severe the condition is, it really takes different types of treatment before it can be totally cured and it also has the tendency to recur.
Here are some of the different types of remedies or treatments known that can help treat, cure or even eliminate nail fungus:
- Using bleach is one of the most common remedy known to treat nail fungus, however, this is not being recommended all the time since because of its contents, it can be too harsh for the skin around the infected nails.
- Vicks VapoRub is also one of the most popular type of treatment that can be easily found at home. It is said that one of its ingredients actually kills the source of the nail fungi.
- Tea tree oil with its antibiotic properties helps in the healing process and helps kill the fungus that caused the nail infection.
- Wearing comfortable footwear with enough ventilation for the air to pass through also helps the healing to become faster.
- Potassium Hydroxide mixed with water also helps in killing the nail fungus.
- Epsom salt mixed with warm water
- Applying hydrogen peroxide on the clean infected area
- Tea tree oil without being mixed with anything, this just has to be dropped on the infected nail, and we just need to make sure that we wash the infected area first, let it dry before applying the tea tree oil.
- There are also medicines which come in the form of an ointment or cream which can be bought either with a doctor’s prescription or over the counter.
- Doctor might even advise a patient to take treatments orally. Some of the types of these are itraconazole, fluconazole griseofulvin and terbinafine. These are strong medicines so what the doctors usually do is to conduct tests on the patient’s liver and heart, making sure that they are fit to take these types of medicine.
- There is also a type of nail paint that contains antifungal properties. This is being applied to the nails directly.
- Removal of the infected nails is also advisable most especially if the nail was already badly affected by nail fungus. This is also one way for the ointment or cream to go deeply through the skin to directly kill the fungus that is causing the ailment.
- Undergoing surgery is also another way to treat the nail fungus.
- Therapy involving laser is also one solution but is also one of the most expensive way in treating this type of ailment.