Back in the days when we used to play in the dirt and sand, it is always an issue how our nails have become so dirty. It when our teachers and even our parents would comment on how dirty our nails are, so we are to strictly wash our hands before eating. The reason for this, as we all know, is because of the germs and bacteria that cause sickness.
Now that we are much older, and more conscious of our hygiene, another threat to our nails has evolved from just germs to fungal infections. To many, nail fungus specifically toenail fungus is taken for granted as this usually is assumed to be just a simple discoloration. So if you are one of the people who think that a simple crack is as comparable to just a scratch on the skin, think twice. You may be having symptoms of nail fungus. This article focuses on how to determine the early signs of toenail fungus infection and the different ways to do toenail fungus treatment.
Good to Know!
You toenails are more susceptible to toenail fungus. Our feet, especially when it is always moist and shoed, are the breeding ground of germs. Fungi live in a moist environment with little air. If the feet are not cleaned enough, those nasty fungi will see it as a good breeding ground and thus, live in our feet specifically the toenails. Regularly check your toenails for warning signs and early symptoms of nail fungus.
Early Signs of Toenail Fungus Infection
- Dryness of nails in the hands and feet with slight discoloration
- An off-white or yellowish discoloration present in nails
- Nails continue to thicken over time despite efforts to buff and/or file.
- Brittle nails, close to actual crumbing
If you have at least two of these signs, then you may be suffering from toenail fungus infection. But don’t you worry, this type of nail fungus infection is highly treated. Here are the possible medications that your doctor can prescribe for you.
- Antifungal medication. Your doctor can either prescribe you an antifungal tablet, cream or ointment to treat those stubborn fungi. Antifungal medications are the best toenail fungus treatment that are highly effective and most prescribed.
- Your doctor can also perform a laser treatment to get rid of nail fungus. Although this may be expensive, you are assured of a quick and effective way to heal toenail fungus infections. Depending on the severity, there may be few sessions to take before the fungi are completely removed.
- Worst Option: Surgery. This type of toenail fungus treatment is for those who have chronic and severe type if fungal infection.
Getting rid of these nasty fungal infections at early signs will definitely save you from undergoing toenail fungus treatments which can be pretty nasty and painful. So better check your hand and toenails at a regular interval for a sure and better way to do prevention. Relatively cheap and easy to do.