Nail fungus is one of the most known type of nail disease which is often caused by a type of microscopic organism known as Fungi. This kind of fungi normally lives and survives in moist and warm environment since it does not require sunlight in order for them to live. Some type of yeast and molds are also known to be one of the causes of fungal infection. The type of infection which is normally caused by the nail fungus happens once the fungi enter the skin. This occurs when there is a cut or any breakage in the skin.
There are some known channels that raise the risk of acquiring the infection:
- Having diabetes, AIDS or any other type of ailments that causes the immune system to weaken
- Wearing shoes or any type of footwear that are too tight and causes the feet to not be properly ventilated
- Having infection or any kind of injury on the skin or the nail itself
- Problems in relation to the circulation of the blood in the body
- Excessive sweating in hands and feet which are sometimes caused by the sweat glands in our body
- Walking in damp areas with no protection on the feet
- History in the family where most likely members experienced having fungal infections
- Too much exposure in hot, humid or damp places
- A person reaches the age of 60
- Poor hygiene concerning the foot
- Not wearing clean socks, stockings or any type of footwear
- Male are also said to be more susceptible to having this type of ailment
- The foot on the skin has a high PH level
- Having an ingrown toe nail
- Failing to dry off one’s feet after it has been damp
Often times, it is hard to eliminate nail fungus once you have it, it will cost you a lot of time and money that is why doctors advise their patients that it is always better to be cautious and to prevent it, as the old adage goes, prevention is better than cure. Having this type of ailment not only affects the person’s health but also his psychological and psychosocial development. Who would want to go out with someone who has a discolored and worse, someone who has a foul odor due to nail fungus?
Being cautious about our health is very important. Most people often disregard or take it for granted. They only realize the importance of being healthy once they get sick. Nails that are infected with fungus don’t only look terrible; they can also interfere with whatever we are doing on a daily basis. Some people might think that having nail fungus is nothing serious but once it affects them and the ailment becomes severe that’s when they will regret not having it treated when they found out about it during its early stage of development. Once the situation becomes worse, the harder it is for the ailment to get cured. It will cost you not just large amount of money since the treatment and its prices varies but it will also give you more stress than you can even imagine.